Wednesday, November 18, 2009

GNN bug fix progress report #1

GNN bug fix progress report #1

Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:33:52 -0500

Asset B16060 Posted By coder

Two items can now be scratched off the list. Users passwords can now be changed on the Edit Profile page, and the 100+ post bug has been fixed.

Credit for fixing the latter must go primarily to Jessey, however he had a small error in his coding that prevented it from working correctly. I have now fixed his fix.

For those of you keeping score, I have spent 2 hours and 10 minutes of time on these fixes. 2 hours on the password fix, and 10 minutes on the 100+ post bug.

For those of you unfamiliar with the 100+ post bug, it occurs when a thread has reached 100 posts or more. A reply posted to the thread from any page other than the first resulted in non-functioning Next and Previous links.

I will be talking with Stephen about the next step going forward.



R178295
4 years ago
silverback

ahhhh… progress.


R178296
4 years ago
elarsix

awesome, so sick to see things happening!


R178298
4 years ago
YT_

thanks coder

and thanks for getting this going, Stephen – much appreciated!


R178301
4 years ago
Number5Toad

yes yes, thanks to you both. cigars all around!


R178302
4 years ago
coder

I have just learned that the 100+ post bug is not entirely fixed. So save my cigar for later, Number5Toad.

It appears that articles and threads differ. I am hunting this down now.


R178305
4 years ago
AreolaSharon2

Ahh take the cigar for now.

We’ll offer up a King-Sized Blunt later.


R178307
4 years ago
Darios

Great stuff.


R178313
4 years ago
coder

After investigating the problem, I have found where the bug lies. The articles section is not correctly linked to the forum section. I will post an announcement on this thread when this is complete.


R178331
4 years ago
eepicheep

Thank you!


R178360
4 years ago
JustLurking

coder, will you marry us ?


R178361
4 years ago
Briefcaseman

Psy-Op™


R178362
4 years ago
sisyphus

The articles section is not correctly linked to the forum section. I will post an announcement on this thread when this is complete

Yeah, sometimes when you click on an article from the forum you get logged out (at least for that page).


R178470
4 years ago
coder

The “link to forum from article” bug has now been trapped and squashed. I did have to break down and ask Jessey for assistance, and once he explained it I got it fixed.

I’ll take that cigar now.


R178472
4 years ago
Papito

you deserve it.


R178483
4 years ago
JustLurking

I’ll take that cigar now.

need a light ?... I also have some hella fine single malt I’m willing to share whenever you feel the need to kick back an relax after some additional debugging.

good show coder

Post Modified: 06/16/06 02:00:06

R178486
4 years ago
JustLurking

while were at it..I’m right in the middle of trying to round up a discussion I was partaking in and damned if I can find it now… you haven’t mentioned anything about implementing a “show all users posts” function.. is this a conceivable option on the table ? do-able ?... just curious


R178513
4 years ago
coder

There has been discussion of a robust search being added which would facilitate finding all posts by a specific user. However that would be somewhat involved to implement. Stephen is prioritizing all site enhancements, so my instructions as to what to work on next come from him.


R178529
4 years ago
JustLurking

However that would be somewhat involved to implement.

I kinda figured, coming into it at this stage of game, might be a little testy,... and priorities like, heh, change password would be pretty high up on the list…


R178531
4 years ago
neverknwo

There has been discussion of a robust search being added which would facilitate finding all posts by a specific user.

I used to use UNO UPDATE: all the time as a way to search for all my posts, but I got too many Complaints by the Intellectual Prostitutes.

I could type it in the filter and hit enter.

Post Modified: 06/16/06 07:30:20

R178537
4 years ago
totalstranger

I noticed a bug in the blogs. My title was:

Tory MP: “Fuck you guys.”

And it published the title with no problem when I hit the submit button. But when I clicked the ‘edit’ link and tried to edit it, I noticed the title had been cut off:

Tory MP:

Weird.. I have to rewrite the title if I want to edit it. It’s the first time I’ve noticed that, maybe someone else has reported it already.


R178541
4 years ago
tango

I noticed that TS, but I guess you fixed it before I was able to mention it. I though the super-secret profanity police had gotten to you.


R178549
4 years ago
coder

totalstranger, in all likelihood that’s because you used double-quotes. Double-quotes in text input fields are problematic because they are the same character used to delimit the value for the field. When text containing double-quotes is loaded back into a text input field, when the browser sees the first double-quote, it thinks that is indicating the end of the field, since the incoming value starts with a double quote.

Browsers populate text fields like this:
input type=“text” value=“The Text that appears in the field”

If you have a value with double-quotes, then this is what happens:
input type=“text” value=“Tory MP: “F*** you guys.”“

As you can see, the value declaration ends with the “ preceding the F.

I’ll mention this to Stephen, and see if he wants to automatically replace those with an HTML character code, but my guess is that will fall pretty low on the list of priorities.


R178562
4 years ago
totalstranger

ahh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

I though the super-secret profanity police had gotten to you.

heh, I thought that was a possibility too.. but I was ready to argue “hey, my government uses this kind of language, surely it belongs in schools and libraries.” ;-)

Post Modified: 06/16/06 09:14:31

R178568
4 years ago
JustLurking

used to use UNO UPDATE: all the time as a way to search for all my posts, but I got too many Complaints by the Intellectual Prostitutes.

heh… I would have never guessed. I always thought it was some sort of announcement to the forum. Pretty crafty of ya nev…

:)

on edit:.. I’m wondering though, how does this help you when you’ve entered into discussions in other peoples threads ?

Post Modified: 06/16/06 08:49:14

R178571
4 years ago
JustLurking

Weird.. I have to rewrite the title if I want to edit it. It’s the first time I’ve noticed that, maybe someone else has reported it already.

noticed that as well while editing my last blog.. couldn’t make sense of it. Never occured to me I should mention it. Just assumed maybe it was something I was doin wrong.

Post Modified: 06/16/06 08:52:59

R178602
4 years ago
jwijn

Nice work. Any news on getting an in-site chat function?

Post Modified: 06/16/06 10:32:43

R178676
4 years ago
Namaste_Rich

In addition to the chat question that jwijn posed…

Is it also possible to enable textile color text formatting?

We used to have the ability to color format the text when posting, as well adjusting margins (left, center, etc) and creating tables. Jessey, for some unknown reason, disabled it on the site.

Please let us know. Thanks, coder. Keep up the great work.


R178678
4 years ago
neverknwo

On getting an in-site chat function, I found that Teamspeak is cheap and all you would need is a server.

Check in to it…............................many great uses, even if you don’t use it for chat.


R178680
4 years ago
mtnlungta

hey coder can you get a place for us to bring things like this …..........ask the managment please ty

http://www.globalrescue.net/unproj/en/van.jsp#


R178688
4 years ago
Shogo

I think textile was disabled because of fennec and his bombs.

Post Modified: 06/16/06 15:54:06

R178690
4 years ago
tango

coder and/or Shogo, if limited html is to be implemented my only request would be the ability to super- and sub-script. It’s hard to discuss math or science without them. Thanks.

[on edit: this post probably doesn’t make much sense since Shogo deleted his post].

Post Modified: 06/16/06 15:55:13

R178691
4 years ago
YT_

whoops


R178693
4 years ago
Namaste_Rich

Ah, of course. The textile bomb.

Thanks for the clarification Shogo.

[on edit: makes sense Tango. My post too was in regards to Shogo’s unedited post.]

Post Modified: 06/16/06 15:57:31

R178695
4 years ago
yeshappysteady

Honesty is the best policy…

Post Modified: 06/16/06 16:17:53

R178706
4 years ago
AreolaSharon2

“Honesty is the best policy…”

In theory.

Occasionally covert ops are in the best interest of the greater good.

I’m thinking this is one.


R178708
4 years ago
Chickenma1

What’s with those IGNORE posts on the Demolitions thread? A gag, right? Any ignore feature should be usable only on blogs by the blogger.


R178711
4 years ago
totalstranger

A gag, right?

I think suitcaseman is trying to ‘IGNORE‘ senssensibilityr’s posts.


R178738
4 years ago
fennec

“We hate textile. We hate textile!”

So, I go out of my way to get rid of it and now you want it back. Well, you know what? You can’t have it back!


R178742
4 years ago
truthcansuck

All of these requests are well and good, but it’s of utmost importance that we get chat…

I’ve been using this board as my personal chat room for a while now, and quite frankly, it’s too slow.. that, coupled with the fact that you people keep posting this annoying ‘content’ when I’m trying to have a conversation with my fellow gorillas and possibly pick up some internet anarchy-chicks is really starting to piss me off…

In the end, it comes down to a single question:

What do you want? Meaningfull gorilla content and debate over the issues of the day, or an entire website devoted to my need to trade one-liners with my gorilla brethren?!?


R179090
4 years ago
themightyowl

there is another bug.. people can still post hidden threads.. if you like i can give you the modified version of the add.php page that allows this.
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archived GNN Threads